[MPlayer-users] ffmpeg and the DLL codecs for WMV (etc)

Vacuum Joe vacuumjoe at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 18 05:25:10 CEST 2006

And I now have my FFMPEG / vC-1 -based frame grabber
working.  It can grab any frame by number from the
stream, is completely command-line, and uses all
open-source software (no DLLs).  It works fine with
both MPGE1/2 streams, and WMV3 (ie VC-1) streams.  But
the speed difference is huge.  I haven't gotten out
the stopwatch, but it looks like MPEG decoding is
about 20 times faster than VC-1 decoding.  For what
I'm doing, it doesn't really matter.

Next step is to try it out on a 64-bit system and see
what happens.  I'm optimistic.