[MPlayer-users] frame interpolation

Peter Kryszkiewicz vertexg at telus.net
Mon Jun 19 22:09:03 CEST 2006

I got a rude shock the other day when I discovered my DVcam records at
only 12fps in .asf format.  I needed to dump each frame to image files
in order to use them in an animation that will eventually get written to
DVD at NTSC framerate.

My question is - If you have a certain number of stills dumped from a
12fps video, what is the best approach to increase the actual number of
image frames in a subdirectory so that they can be inserted into an
animation that plays at 29.97 fps?

1. Use an image manipulation program like Gimp or Image Magick to
interpolate between dumped frames to generate additional frames?
2. Use MPlayer to somehow dump more physical frames to match the higher
frame rate I want, even though the source does not contain that many
frames?

If I specify a different frame rate in MPlayer I just get a different
play speed but no change in the number of frames dumped to stills.