[MPlayer-users] Bicubic scaling in vo_gl - does it ever work?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Jun 19 22:21:16 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 03:26:32PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> matter? Unlike games, there is no reason to be "as fast as possible", as
> long as you do 25 or 30 fps you should be fine.

Well, in reality it's the same for games, as long as you get 50 fps, who
really cares? Of course, there are some additional problems, mostly
since the scenes can change so much you need a significant "safety
margin" to always be above the desired fps.

> notice that shader is "slow"? I thought that it's the matter of just
> getting desired fps so there are no slowdowns, you shouldn't even be
> able to notice if the shader is faster than that. Am I missing
> something?

Well, I can make a 1024-instruction shader. That is if you don't mind
watching the video in a 1x1 sized window. So making the shader faster
means on the same video card I can still play videos at a higher
(fullscreen) resolution.
Also for those who absolutely want to minimize A-V delay it relates more
directly to CPU usage: If you enable glfinish you see exactly how much
time the shader uses.
And in theory there is also a difference in power consumption, though I
doubt it matters (well, actually as soon as there are GPUs that reduce
frequency dependant on load it might become relevant).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger