[MPlayer-users] Controlling mencoder from command line

Francois Visagie fvisagie at za.spescom.com
Thu Jun 22 15:35:51 CEST 2006

Hi Guys,

Please, I know this is a newbie question, but I've combed all html
documentation without finding the information I'm looking for. I'm NOT
looking for descriptions of command line options/switches. What I AM looking
for is a description of controlling the various ways mencoder can read &
write its input & output.

Please help me out here or at least point me to some online documentation if
available?

---
Hi All,

I'm trying my hand at mencoder. While I'm fairly comfortable with specifying
coders, filters etc. from the command line (or from the config file), I
can't work out how mencoder's behaviour is influenced by its command line
arguments. According to man_page.html the command line synopsis is:

mencoder [options] [ file | URL | − ] [−o file]
mencoder [global options] file1 [specific options] [file2] [specific
options]

Where can I get detailed descriptions of the various arguments, answering
questions like -

According to the first command form above, all arguments are optional. What
happens when no arguments are specified; how does one get mencoder to do
anything useful? What happens if − is specified? Where does output go when
-o file isn't specified?

According to the second form, file1 isn't optional. How does mencoder
distinguish between the two forms? How does the second form behave
differently from the first?

Etc.

Thank you in advance,
Francois
---

This e-mail is sent on the Spescom Terms and Conditions
that can be accessed by clicking on this link http://www.spescom.com/email.html