[MPlayer-users] Choppy DVD playback

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Fri Jun 23 15:25:22 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:32:56PM -0500, Val wrote:

> This suggests to me that this is an mplayer specific problem with this
> DVD. I would like to know exactly what is so different about this DVD
> and why mplayer is having trouble with it. However, I don't know what
> kind of diagnostics to run and I was wondering if someone on this list
> can suggest somethings.

I've seen similar problems with DVD's protected by Sony's news copy protection system (whose name I forget), basically, they insert some bad sectors on the  DVD, and instruct the dvd player to skip past those areas.  Mplayer, however, does not support those instructions and runs right into the bad sectors.

Ironically, the best way to view these dvd's on all players is to make a copy sans bad sectors.  go figure.