[MPlayer-users] MPlayer codec RPMs have unnecessary dependencies

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Jun 24 11:25:48 CEST 2006

On Saturday, 24 June 2006 at 09:39, Andre Robatino wrote:
>  I just realized that you were probably talking about the Greysector
> MPlayer RPMs, not the codec RPMs.  Well, first of all, they're usually
> horribly out of date, since people are expected to compile their own
> from source.

What is out of date?

> Second, it's not a yum repository.

Well, you've already discovered it is.

> Third, since the RPMs
> can be used by other applications, there shouldn't be a dependency on
> MPlayer at all, since it would be reasonable to want to install xine or
> some other application without MPlayer and use these codec RPMs with it,
> for example.

The reason for this dependency is that since MPlayer 1.0pre7, the default
codecs path is /usr/lib/codecs. My earlier mplayer and codec RPMs used
three different paths for the codecs and mplayer wouldn't find all the
codecs present in the recent packages.

Apart from that, these RPMs were never meant to be used with any other
player. If you'd like to submit a RFE to our bugzilla, I'll consider it.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/