[MPlayer-users] Re: 1080i to 1080p mpeg2 or x264?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 05:36:32 CET 2006

On 3/1/06, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/1/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > sorry, for mpeg4 x264, not straight mpeg4. x264 encodes take quite a
> > bit longer than mpeg2 and don't show that much of a space savings
> > using the more default commands.
> >
> > What commands should I turn on is the question... I'm not well versed
> > in what the commands do which is why I'm trying to see if someone here
> > has done a lot of x264 encodes and has a good grasp on what to use.
> > I've found this type of information for doing xvid encodes so I'm
> > wondering if anyone has done any experimenting in optimizing x264
> > settings for HD streams or knows what the "settings" are for how h264
> > will be implemented for HD-DVD and such.
>
> Did you RFTM? http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-x264.html
>
> Guillaume

well, using the settings at the bottom of that page for "Very High
Quality" I'll say, the space saving are incredible, roughly 1/5 the
filesize of the mpeg2 encode, the problem is, still not as sharp.
Playback on a 50"+ screen will show noticeable difference between the
two.

I'll have to go through the information on that page to try and find
suitable settings for doing a true very high quality encode. Slightly
higher bitrate should do the trick I think, so its just a matter of
playing around with the settings.

--
Steve