[MPlayer-users] Why won't MPlayer play my DVDs?

n0dalus n0dalus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 03:36:04 CET 2006

On 3/3/06, Andrew A. Gill <superluser at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> What could this possibly do that
>
>         printf( "read failed (%s)\n", dvdcss->psz_error);
>
> couldn't?  I suddenly have no confidence in the libdvdcss
> people.  And if anyone on the list is a dev for libdvdcss, I do
> not apologize.

This isn't necessarily bad programming. If they thought the method for
detecting or reporting errors would change at some point in the
future, having a function to handle it would avoid having to find and
replace multiple instances of error reporting in the program. The
compiler probably optimizes it out in this case anyway (otherwise they
should use a #define instead).

It's a way of implementing OOP paradigms into a functional language.
Classes often have 'getters' and 'setters', so here they have made a
'getter'. I don't personally think it's necessary, but it isn't wrong
to do it that way.

n0dalus.