[MPlayer-users] Cut First Part of Movie

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Mar 3 16:09:17 CET 2006

Andrew A. Gill wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Todd Walton wrote:
>
>> On 3/2/06, Andrew A. Gill <superluser at frontiernet.net> wrote:

>>> It would be nice (HINT!!! HINT!!!) to have a -sf option, which
>>> would skip x number of frames, but it doesn't exist.
>>
>> Are you hinting that you're coding that?  More power to ya!  You're
>> the man.
>
> No, I'm hinting that someone else ought to code that.

There are technical reasons why this has not been, and perhaps cannot
be, done (although I forget the details just at the moment). If you
think that it can be done regardless, then the onus is on you to explain
how or, preferably and more effectively, send a patch.

"Someone should do X" is almost a buzzword in at least two different
communities I've spent time in. Around here, it's one of the forms of
comment which usually gets "send in a patch" (or "you forgot to attach
the patch"); on one of the roguelike newsgroups, it takes the form
"someone should research that" (i.e. what precisely the behaviour of the
game is), and generally amounts to a NOP. It almost never gets anyone,
including the person who says it, to volunteer to be the "someone".

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.