[MPlayer-users] Bug report for mencoder on DVB files...

George Styles ripnetuk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 11:22:32 CET 2006

On 3/3/06, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:

> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> >>Very strange that it doesnt happen there, are you using the same command
> >>line as me? here is the complete session of processing that file:
> >
> > Yes, I've got no error on my x86-64 system. I've made a rapid test on
> > an outdated version 32bits version on my 32 bit chroot, but it was
> > quite inconclusive: mencoder was deadlocking, but was deadlocking on
> > pretty much any file anyhow.
>
> Heh, 32-bit chroots are annoying. Eventually I'll get rid of mine...
>
> Anyway, I can't reproduce this on my amd64, nor on a family-15
> spepping-7 Xeon I have access to.
>
> If anybody else has a CPU more similar to the original poster's
> (family-15 stepping-9), they could test that...
>
> -Corey

Thats really wierd... i swear it happens every time on my 'puter!

Maybe this is a niave statement, but the only reason I can think of for it
to work on a 64 bit processor and not a 32 bit is because something
overflows a 32 bit register. ... am i missing something? is there a
completely seperate 64 bit implemention of some of the ffmpeg code optimized
for 64 bits?

ive been looking for an excuse to buy a 64 bit processor anyway :)

thanks for listening