[MPlayer-users] Re: ATSC 720 <at> 24p streams

rob pfile at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 11 01:27:40 CET 2006

Nico Sabbi <nicola_sabbi <at> fastwebnet.it> writes:

> this patch should work, although, being the reverse-telecine code in
> video.c terrible at best,
> I'm not completely sure that my patch is always correct.
> I plan to rewrite that code as soon as I can.
> BTW, progressive sequence is always set.
> BTW2, I don't see what visual improvement that crazy 24->60 telecine can
> give, but anyway...

thanks, i will try it out tonight, and post the results.

prior to this, they were broadcasting 720p at 60fps. for film-source material
such as this clip, they were actually hard-telecining the video and
transmitting F1 F1 F2 F2 F2 F3 F3 .. etc.

theoretically they were wasting that bandwidth and now they should have
higher quality for a given bitrate, or (more likely) they will use the
spare bandwidth for yet another stupid weather-information channel.

rob