[MPlayer-users] audio out of sync while recording from TV

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Wed Mar 22 05:27:58 CET 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 12.15, wim delvaux wrote:

> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 16:06, Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>> \On Mar 21, 2006, at 06.18, wim delvaux wrote:
>>> Which Option do I need to specify to allow framedrops ?
>>
>> As you would expect from reading the documentation: -framedrop (I
>> think)
>
> 	-framedrop seems to be an mplayer only option.  Does it work for
> 	mencoder too ?
>

>>> I have a p4 2.6 GHz with 1 GB and linux.  Are framedrops probable ?
>>
>> That would depend on what video codec you are using.
>
> 	what codec would be fast enough and with good enough
> 	quality ? I do not mind a postprocessing phase to recompress things
> 	(I do that now with the recorded movie)

Well, DV doesn't use a lot of CPU, or you could try an MJPEG option.
Both of those files can get to be quite HUGE (I mean very *very*
large) at a good quality. Or you could look into using MPEG-2.

>>> Now I use
>>>
>>> mencoder tv:// \
>>>      -quiet \
>>>      -idx \
>>>      -tv driver=v4l2:freq=${FREQ}:normid=0:amode=1 \
>>>      -endpos ${DURATION} \
>>>      -info "name=${PROGRAMNAME}" \
>>>      -of ${OUTPUTTYPE} \
>>>      -o "${OUTPUTTO}" \
>>>      -oac lavc \
>>>      -ovc lavc \
>>>      -lavcopts acodec=mp3:v4mv:vbitrate=2500:
>>
>>                                   ^^^^^^^^
>> You have a bitrate, but not a codec.
>
> 	Would that not make the capture really fast ?
Well, actually specifying one would be nifty. It's possible you could
also save a few CPU cycles by recording the audio with PCM instead of
MP3.

Do you do this kind of thing very often? What is the destination
format? An MPEG-4 file or a DVD-Video disc? Depending on that, you
might want to consider taking a page out of the MythTV crowd's book
and investing in a Hauppauge PVR-150. It's a video capture card with
a built-in MPEG-2 encoder that is supported by IVTV and V4L2. Plextor
also makes an MPEG-4 hardware compressor that works on a USB
connection, though I don't know how easy those are to work with.