[MPlayer-users] H.264 and advice on new hardware.

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 08:00:02 CET 2006

Hi,

On 3/22/06, Mathieu Monnier <manao at melix.net> wrote:

> Lavc won't be able to decode high bitrate 1080p video in realtime,
> whatever the computer. And there are still a lot of optimizations needed
>   in order to do so ( and even so, in it's current architecture, it
> might not be possible ).

Do you know from the top of your head what still needs some optimizations?
What do you think is the main problem with lavc's architecture that
prevent it from approaching the speed of coreavc? I was thinking about
maybe the function pointer thingie to activate the asm routines, which
comes with an overhead, but other than that?

Guillaume
is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.