[MPlayer-users] extracting subtitles

Raphael mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com
Sat Mar 25 19:56:33 CET 2006

RC wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:20:36 +0000
> Raphael <mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com> wrote:
>

>> "[open] number of subtitles on disk: 0" which makes no sense as the
>> film is in French with subtitles.
>>

> Are the subtitles hard-coded perhaps?  ie. Do they show up when you play
> the DVD with no -sid or -slang options?

Sadly I think they might be. Yes they do show up and they even stay
there after I disable subtitles by pressing "v". What is weird is that
ALL my DVDs appear to have hard coded subtitles (which is what made me
suspicious that the fault is with mplayer)!

I don't suppose there is a tool for extracting hard coded subtitles?
Technically it should be easy as they sit in the black border below the
video...

Raphael