[MPlayer-users] Suse 10.0 glibc crash

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Mar 28 10:33:09 CEST 2006

Attributions fixed, somewhat clunkily.

John Brown wrote:

[that Guillaume Poirier wrote:]
[that John Brown wrote:]
>>> Is there a particular reason the original poster was not given
>>> the standard "Upgrade to CVS before reporting problems" response?
>>
>> Because some ppl care to help users out on such cases. There's no
>> problem with that. I personally don't use any other version besides
>> CVS, so it makes it easier to me if the user uses CVS too so I can
>> reproduce the problem.
>
> No, nothing is wrong. I was just surprised.  I believe that this is
> the first time that someone using pre7 has been helped since I joined
> this list in Nov. 2005.

It isn't the first time, it's happened, no, although it may possibly be
the first since that date. Usually, although not always, when someone
gets help with an outdated release version the problem they are
experiencing is a build issue but not an internal bug - as in this case,
where the exact same environment (same MPlayer source tree, latest
available versions of other libraries, ./configure without arguments)
would have worked at the time of release but does not work now. The
problem is not in MPlayer but in the fact that the version involved is
not interacting correctly with changes made to other software; it is
just as correct to downgrade your external library as to update your
MPlayer source, so the usual "not using latest CVS means there's no way
to fix your problem" doesn't apply.

...I think there was one more thing I wanted to note here, but I forget
what it was...

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.