[MPlayer-users] Encoding too slow on AMD Athlon 64 3000+ comparing with Pentium Celeron M 1, 4

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Mar 28 20:36:51 CEST 2006

Martin Kamín wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I didn't find solution to my problem on the internet, maybe somebody will help
> me here. Mencoding is *really* slow on AMD Athlon 64 3000+ comparing with
> Pentium Celeron M 1,4 - lets say 3-4times slower
>
> The whole process runs well and it is done well, but comparing encoding time
> on my Athlon 63 3000+ with old Pentium Celeron M notebook, diference is
> really HUGE.
>
> Encoding of my 1 hour movie is done within 4 hours (6-8 frames per second) AMD
> Encoding of my 1 hour movie is done within 1 hour (24 frames per second)
> Pentium Celeron M 1,4

That's odd. Offhand, I would expect 50-70fps xvid encoding of a
normal-resolution movie on a 3000+.

Have you checked to make sure your Athlon64 machine is working properly?
For example, I use ondemand CPU frequency scaling and sometimes it gets
stuck at the lowest frequency. If nothing is readily apparent, try some
unrelated CPU benchmark like:
$ time bzip2 some_file -c > /dev/null

Is your hard disk working properly? Check DMA:
# hdparm -d /dev/sda
(replace sda with whatever disk you're using)
...or run a quick test:
# hdparm -t /dev/sda

Are you using a recent enough xvid? What compiler are you using?

> I'm using following script to make xvid from mpeg's
> OPSNY="bitrate=1000:pass=1:vhq=1:me_quality=6:trellis:chroma_opt:max_bframes=0:hq_ac"
> mencoder ../$file -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3:br=96 -ovc frameno \
> -o frameno.avi

By the way, using frameno never worked quite right and it's now
deprecated. I doubt that is related to your speed problem.

-Corey