[MPlayer-users] re-using divx2pass.log with different bitrate?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 09:50:04 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 3/29/06, vitko <vitk0 at seznam.cz> wrote:
> I'm in first 5 minutes of pass 2 and as I'm not satisfied
> with encoding results. I'd like to change bitrate.
>
> Is it safe to re-use pass 1 results (divx2pass.log) for
> second pass with different bitrate? Or to put it the other
> way round: does '-lavcopts vbitrate=' influence data in
> divx2pass.log?

Yes, it does influence the data in the stats file, however, the impact
isn't hat big, so it's IMHO safe to re-use it with a different target
bitrate.
It you're after the absolutely best picture quality though, target
bitrate in both passes _should_ be the same. The main question is:
will you be able to tell the difference? I don't think so...

> Thanks for a piece of enlightement or a poke towards relevant
> part of docs.

I don't think the doc says anything about that... It may be wise for
me to add it...

Guillaume
is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.