[MPlayer-users] Encoding too slow on AMD Athlon 64 3000+ comparing with Pentium Celeron M 1, 4

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Fri Mar 31 00:21:49 CEST 2006

Martin Kamín wrote:

>>>What version/type do I have to use?
>>>I use OpenSuse 10.0, so my rpm's are:
>>>yasm-0.4.0-7
>>>bin86-0.16.0-189
>>>binutils-2.16.91.0.2-8.4
>>>
>>>Building xvid from source looks pretty well....
>>>
>>>zeus:/tmp/xvidcore-1.1.0/build/generic # ./configure
>>>checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>>checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>>checking for whether to use assembly code... yes
>>>checking for architecture type... ia32
>>>

>>What? IA32? You probably run configure on wrong machine?
>>

>Are you joking?
>BUT, same machine, help me, I'm blind to find the solution :(
>My system *IS* 32bit OpenSuse, why to compile it to 64bits code?
>and ./configure doesn't help me to change it by command line params....
>
>How to HACK it? help
>Martin

If you run 32-bit system on 64-bit machine, it should not slow things
down so great.
Look first, if assembler files are compiled, it is possible, that a
combination of
AMD K8 and IA-32bit confuses configure script. So configure disables any
mmxes,
in order to keep xvid working on such "strange" machine.
If you want to hack - try to make configure think you have e.g. Athlon
CPU. Just overwrite
CPU checks with constants you may find there.
But I really really recommend to upgrade to a 64-bit system.

Phil