[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed May 3 03:49:16 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 06:09:06PM -0500, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> Oh, BTW:
>
> (Rich Felker, April 28)
> >They are not correct files since they are unplayable without the index
> >and thus hopelessly fragile (and also unplayable before download
> >completes). This is idiotic and broken and regardless of whether it's
> >within the letter of the spec it's absolutely wrong.
>
> I'd say that if something was within the "letter of the spec," it
> would be right.

Not when the spec is ill-defined and plenty of other obviously-wrong
things are technically legal. Whiners just want this abomination to be
legal to let them save a small amount of overhead at the price of the
file becoming more fragile than a house made out of cards.

> >Then you'll also ignore half of the useful help on this list. I help
> >people who are asking legitimate questions and behaving themselves.
>
> I find it ironic that you use the words "behaving themselves." I'd
> hardly call firing off every other message with the word "fuck" (or
> "fuck" as part of an acronym) and calling people lusers because they
> disagree with you, behaving!

WAAAH HEE STARTED IT!!!
Seriously though, trolling, distorting history to claim that it backs
up your viewpoint, etc. are misbehaving in my book.

> And saying that we'd be getting rid of half the useful help on the
> list is overstating your influence a little bit. True, you have

Yes this is true. These days there are more developers who help, but
at one point a long time ago, believe it or not, I was almost the only
developer with patience to subscribe to and reply on the "lusers"
mailing list as it was called.

> I find it interesting that you're perpetuating the flame war and
> furthering the off-topic discussion (The topic *was* DivX 6, now it's
> doom9?). And "flam[ing] lusers" is hardly a way to convince people
> that their "ignorant viewpoints" are "totally off-topic." Instead, it
> just makes you look like a pompous, self-righteous jerk. You need to
> learn to communicate more clearly, if you want to be taken seriously.

This thread abandoned all hope of being taken seriously a long time
ago.

> IF you have a problem with "lusers" who have "ignorant viewpoints,"
> then educate them politely.

I do this whenever they don't have an attitude. Why not look and
compare my responses to different threads?

> I have a radical idea! How about we discuss this like adults! Instead
> of ranting, raving, calling names, let's actually call up FACT. How

Like citing the archives? Oh I already did that and he was too fucking
ignorant to read them, instead claiming that they back up his
viewpoint. I know quite well that all of the developers involved in
that discussion had serious doubts about the validity of doom9's
testing and the way he handled the situation.

> you processed at 120 FPS, if the output make h.263 look sharp). And

H.263 is a very good codec, basically the same as mpeg4 and better in
some respects (while worse in others). Statements like this don't show
any technical credibility on your part.

> Seriously, go look up the word "debate" and look at some real debate
> rules (Check out Classic Debate, or Public Forum Debate, those are
> pretty simple).

Who said I wanted to debate? Debate is an honor given either to people
who have a legitimate viewpoint, or to people with sufficient power
that you're unfortunately forced to debate with them in order to win
public approval. Quite simply this bastard pissed me off with his
trolling and I wanted to flame.

Rich