Moderate some users (was: Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6)

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed May 3 14:26:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 5/3/06, Alexander Noe' <alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski schrieb:
>
> > The point is, Rich's opinions usually _are_ backed up with good technical
> > information.
>
> And each time the technical information is against him or he doesn't
> have any, he starts flaming instead of saying nothing when he doesn't
> have anything to say. If he wants to present tests showing that GMC
> isn't worth anything, he should present them, if he doesn't have any,
> then he should say so or shut up, if he doesn't care about whether or
> not GMC is useful, he can say that as well. But posting random
> nonsense when he doesn't have information is not the way to go,
> otherwise there is a danger that some people actually believe him.
>
> That situation is dangerous because such nonsense information has a
> tendency to stick in people's heads, as has been proven at several
> occasions: for example when THW made up some funny theories about the
> SaveDisc 2 protection (the laser being to weak to correctly record
> certain data patterns on CDs), which has been treated at The Ultimate
> Truth for years, or when people started to say AVI supported only 2
> audio streams, or VBR audio in AVI was not completely spec compliant,
> or AAC audio should not be used in AVI because it was a bad idea etc
> etc, or, even better, even having 2 audio streams in an AVI file was a
> hack, just because M$'s player doesn't support certain features of the
> AVI file format introduced like 15 years ago.
>
> If he can finally decide to restrain himself, and to restrict to
> technically information he actually has, there is no need to moderate
> him, but with GMC, he has shown that he has severe issues restriction
> to technical information he actually has.
>
> I guess the next couple of weeks will show whether or not he can do
> that contrarily to the impression he recently gave.

I fullheartly agree with you here.

>From now on, I would like:
No free claims
No name calling

I know all of you guys are intelligent ppl, so prove it to us by
behaving as such.... and the world will be a better place.

Guillaume
is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.