[MPlayer-users] Visual Rewind?

Ilja Kamps ikarus at ikarus.ath.cx
Wed May 3 22:08:20 CEST 2006

> Hopefully this is a yes/no answer thing. I'm am wanting to use the
> mplayer speed_set option via slave mode so that I can do a visual
> fastforward that seems to work ok. Is there an option to go backwards?
> I tried negative values, but that didn't work. Is there something else I
> should be looking into.

Right, this is a technical limitation of most (if not all) video
encodings, the problem is, P and actually even B frames can only show
relative information from the PREVIOUS I frame, implementing such a
thing would required buffering the decoded frames from the previous I
frame up to the current frame and stepping back through them, as you can
guess this isn't a default feature in decoding libraries.

So, for the short answer, no, this is not possible, nor likely to be
possible in the near future.