[POOL] Moderate some users (was: Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6)

Wed May 3 23:07:04 CEST 2006

Hi Alexander Noe'!

 On 2006.05.03 at 13:56:43 +0200, Alexander Noe' wrote next:

> If he can finally decide to restrain himself, and to restrict to
> technically information he actually has, there is no need to moderate
> him, but with GMC, he has shown that he has severe issues restriction
> to technical information he actually has.

Though Rich really loves to flame too much and often is too stubborn
(for example, he still hasn't tried recent xvid with the sane settings
to find out how much it is better than lavc), but when it comes to
technical argumentation, he really knows his stuff.

As about XVID's GMC, I completely agree that it isn't useful feature. I
tested it quite a lot on different material, including the one that
theoretically should get improvement from gmc, on med/high/very high
bitrates. Well, what should I say, it sucks. Maybe it helps a bit in
some cases, but usually it just eats some bitrate. On every scene it
proved to be useless. As for doing complete dvd-rip with gmc option,
just forget about it - the best you will get is picture with the same
quality. Or it can decrease quality a bit (more likely on medium
bitrate). Most often you'll just get picture that's a bit different, but
you won't be able to see _any_ improvement.

Maybe in a very short scene with some kind of artificial pan/zoom it
would help you just a bit, if your bitrate is low. But on regular real
life or anime contents, don't turn it on.

PS I don't know, maybe it's just xvid's implementation is bad. But since
xvid is the best mpeg4 encoder out there right now, I'd say it's not
useful at all.

--

Vladimir