[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 4 16:39:35 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 01:44:26AM -0500, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> >It's not my job to show that they matter. If doom9 is going to use the
> >wrong IDCT it's HIS JOB to show that there's no difference.
>
> Funny, I remember the words always being "Innocent Until Proven
> Guilty," not 'tother way 'round. I think the burden of proof is on
> you, since you attacked the test.

This is not the way science works. If you want to publish results, you
must accompany them with evidence that shows them to be correct.
Otherwise you're just publishing opinions, and when you misleadingly
pretend they're the result of scientific testing procedure...

> You've made your point, and

Apparently I hadn't since you misunderstood something as basic as the
above..

> How is using .mp4 proving his incompetence?

Because it's among the worst 3 or 4 containers in existence, and no
one with any technical competence about containers would even consider
using it. Apparently you don't know anything about it and just
ignorantly think it's a natural choice, probably either because it's
called ".mp4", or because Apple and other lame corps use it.

As for an alternative, mpeg4-es (no container at all) would be totally
appropriate.

Rich