[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Mathieu Monnier manao at melix.net
Fri May 5 07:07:35 CEST 2006

Just a few random remarks :

  - GMC can improve the PSNR ( I've seen +0.1 dB at same file size, on
some rare files ), but visually, it'll be hard to see its usefulness. I
don't consider GMC to be that hackish - after all, it integrates itself
rather nicely in the macroblock bitstream.
  - MP4 has a great advantage over raw video : it's seekable. Don't
forget that the only reason Doom9 chose to use Ateme's decoder was that
FFDShow was seeking inaccurately. In that regards, MP4 is a consistent
choice. It has a normal overhead, it can contain the audio used in his
test, and it handles bframes properly. I'd have chosen MKV ( and I
wouldn't have bothered with audio ), but that's my own opinion. Anyway,
all mpeg4 ASP codecs were treated equally container wise.
  - DCT drifts may or may not have occurred, for XviD, lavc, or DivX.
Nobody ever cared to check what IDCT was used by default on windows, and
for which codecs the drifts happened. Anyway, Doom9 still compared, at
your request, the XviD and Lavc file with FFDShow ( but then comes the
MP4 container, without fourcc, and I don't know whether lavd can rely on
the userdata to make its IDCT autodetection. Anyway, there again, both
Xvid and Lavc can have DCT drifts ).
  - the multithreaded encoding was discarded by Corey and Rich during
the pretests, because the speed gain was not worth the quality loss. So
you can't complain about that. XviD wasn't multithreaded at the time of
the test ( "and recently there has been some SMP optimization, but the
release of those optimizations was too close to the deadline to make the
test." )
  - apart from Rich, which seems allergic to anything coming out of this
test, others seem to have acknowledge the results : vb_strategy=2 is
commited two day after the results, Corey is working on XviD's RC
integration. Nobody seems to criticize lavc raw coding efficiency, which
indeed seems a bit higher than XviD's.

Regards,

Mathieu