[MPlayer-users] mencoder seg faults with x264 encoder

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Sat May 6 06:43:07 CEST 2006

Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2006, at 13.39, Dylan R. Semler wrote:
>
>> I'm just having the worst time trying to get this to work.  I've
>> compiled mplayer from source and verified that it has x264  support.
>> I'm running the latest cvs of mpalyer and the x264  drivers.  Here is
>> the output before the seg fault:
>>
>> [Dylan at spitzer ~]$ mencoder dvd://1 -ofps 24000/1001 -nosound -ovc
>> x264 -x264encopts pass=1 -o test.mkv -v
>> MEncoder dev-CVS-060423-14:03-4.1.0 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
>

> [snip]
>
>> WARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS _AVI_. see -of help.
>

> FYI: MEncoder can't output to Matroska (yet, at least). As of my
> version of MPlayer (I probably should update it) MEncoder didn't
> output to Matroska, and neither did LAVF.
>
> [snip]
>
>> REQ: flags=0x403  req=0x0
>> REQ: flags=0x3  req=0x0
>> Segmentation fault
>

> Try using gdb to harvest some more information. Do you have debugging
> support enabled?
>
>> Does anyone have this working?  Is x264 just not supported yet?
>

> I have x264 (core 44, SVN 409) and MEncoder (CVS for Feb. 1, 2006)
> operating in harmony on my 1 GHz OS X 10.4.6 machine. x264 is
> supported, but it just looks like you've got some kind of weird
> interaction going on. Does the same thing happen when you disable the
> - -ofps option (theoretically, if the input source is NTSC/Film, you
> shouldn't need that option) or x264's two-pass? This could help us
> track down where the problem might be.

Alright, I've finally got some time to get back at this.  I've updated
to latest cvs/svn of mencoder/x264 and have the same results, I've also
tried it with with the minimum options and still get a segfault (i.e.
mencoder dvd://1 -nosound -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=1 -o mencoder.test)

I've run a backtrace according to the docs.  It's my first one but i
think I did it correctly.  They're attached.  They're a week or so old,
if you need new ones, let me know.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Dylan