[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer crashes when playing radio stream

cga2000 cga2000 at optonline.net
Sat May 6 20:56:50 CEST 2006

Thus spake cga2000 on Sat, May 06, 2006 at 02:22:10PM -0400 or thereabouts: <cga2000 at optonline.net> [2006-05-06 14:22]:
I occasionally use mplayer to listen to this stream:

mplayer -playlist http://audio.vivalavoce.com/stream/real/voce_hi.smil

I have been doing this for months .. just retrieving the command from my
bash history without any problem, but last night this caused mplayer to
crash with the following messages:

Playing http://audio.vivalavoce.com/stream/real/prerolls/choral2_real.gif.
STREAM_HTTP(1), URL: http://audio.vivalavoce.com/stream/real/prerolls/choral2_real.gif
Resolving audio.vivalavoce.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server audio.vivalavoce.com[64.147.131.140]:80 ...
Cache size set to 1024 KBytes
Cache fill:  8.88% (93123 bytes)
GIF file format detected.
VIDEO:  RGB]  0x0  8bpp  5.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
Opening video decoder: [raw] RAW Uncompressed Video
VDec: vo config request - 390 x 260 (preferred colorspace: BGR 8-bit)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
Opening video filter: [palette]
VDec: using BGR 8-bit as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.

SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from BGRA to dithered BGR 16-bit using MMX
VO: [x11] 390x260 => 390x260 BGR 16-bit
Selected video codec: [rawbgr8] vfm: raw (RAW BGR8)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
Frame too small! (50958<101400) Wrong format?
MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: av_sync
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

After this, mplayer just hangs and it takes a 'kill -9 pid' to cause it
to terminate.

I have a feeling vivalavoce.com have changed something in their setup
but I am unsure how I can fix this. Recompiling and running a backtrace
as recommended above is rather impractical since I am on a debian system
and not very familiar with the procedures that let you build your
packages from source in this particular context.

I am able to access this stream in realplay but I would much rather use
mplayer (console mode).

Maybe somebody more familiar with audio streaming could guess at what
might be happening and suggest a workaround?

Thanks,

cga