[MPlayer-users] Stupid flames

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat May 6 21:04:41 CEST 2006

OK, I'm sick of the stupid flames. Since certain lusers accuse me
again and again of saying false things that I have not said and will
not say, here is a summary. Anyone who wants to read this can read it;
anyone else may ignore it, but it can't be said that I'm trying to
mislead people with false information. Here's what I have said:

- I have no idea which of lavc or xvid gives better-quality mpeg4, nor
  which gave better quality at the time of doom9's tests.

- doom9's testing procedures were obfuscated in the beginning and he
  made no effort to clarify them when asked. He also became defensive
  when asked about anomolies and refused to listen to the questions
  Michael and I had. (Mine were somewhat inflammatory but Michael's
  were not!) Instead he accused us of whining that lavc was losing,
  much like the lusers participating in this current flame thread have
  wrongly accused me of doing. Whatever clarification was made was
  done much later, long after I gave up on the tests.

- doom9's testing procedures for quality were invalid. I have no idea
  about his testing procedures for performance.

- I make no claims about what the results of a correctly-performed
  test would be. They may be the same as doom9's results or different.

- No, I will not perform a doom9-like test for you to get accurate
  test results. I do not sufficiently care about the results; I only
  care about misrepresentation. If someone else wants to do so, feel
  free, but please use proper scientific testing procedures.

- Bugs were discovered in both xvid and lavc during the testing, and
  corrected. This was the only good that came out of doom9's tests.
  The lavc bugfixes did improve encoding quality. I have no idea how
  that affected relative quality ranking of xvid and lavc.

- I do not say "xvid sucks lavc rox" or any such nonsense. A long time
  ago xvid was basically "opendivx" with a few improvements and it did
  suck, very bad (just like divx4). That was a long time ago. Things
  change.

- I have said on multiple occasions that divx sucks. I stand by this.

- doom9 is an idiot.

Rich