AVI [was: [MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6 ]

Alexander Noe' alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat May 6 22:59:10 CEST 2006

Corey Hickey schrieb:

>>Did Koepi tell you that?
>>
>>AVI has been able to hold 256 streams [1] since it was introduced like
>>15 years ago. Besides that, you can't use subtitles in any language
>>but english if you want your OGM file to work without forcing the
>>watcher to handle charset stuff.
>>
>>AVI, on the other hand, works with utf8 subtitles, so there is no
>>problem as long as you don't want to use original klingon. The *only*
>>new thing about OGM was that it worked properly with VFR streams.
>

> Assuming you refer to "variable frame rate", then Michael wrote
> something interesting about that in his blog:
>
> http://guru.multimedia.cx/the-avi-container-file-format/

I said "properly" ;)

This is the interpretation ffmpeg is using when storing vorbis in avi.
I have read support for this in AVI-Mux GUI (the vorbis init packets
are stored in a b0rked way, that's why it needs special support), I
know that it can be done this way. It is spec compliant, yes...

>     again this isnt true, storing variable framerate in AVI is not
> efficient but it is possible and its not a hack and it doesnt stretch

"not efficient" is a nice euphemism. Even when improving this method,
p.e. by setting AVIF_MUSTUSEINDEX (breaks mplayer, right?), providing
one 0-byte-frame and then pointing to it several times in the index
instead of having multiple copies of 0-byte-frames (with 8 bytes chunk
header each), it is still euphemistic to say it isn't efficient.

The problem is that long Vorbis frames are typically 8 times as long
as short frames, so that even if you base timing on the duration of
one short frame (and not less), you need 8 filling frames, which means
64 bytes of overhead when using the method I described above, or 128
bytes when not using this method, or 192 bytes when not using this
method and not using Open-DML.

If frame durations can differ even more, it gets worse.

Alex

--
„Der Horizont vieler Menschen ist ein Kreis mit dem Radius
Null – und das nennen sie dann ihren Standpunkt. (Albert