[MPlayer-users] Stupid flames

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat May 6 23:16:07 CEST 2006

Jan Knutar wrote:
> On Saturday 06 May 2006 22:26, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried in the last 5 months or so, but more than once I have
>> preferred the results of xvid over x264 at the same bitrate.
>
> Most files with h264 I've encountered in the wild have amused me.
> Re-encoding with lavc mpeg4, vqscale=1:mbd=2:tv4mv:trell has
> sometimes given me smaller (!) file, and most often only slightly
> larger.. Can't say I noticed any artefacts... and the version transcoded
> to mpeg4 even played in realtime :)

Do you know which encoder produced those h.264 files? It wouldn't
surprise me at all if Apple's h.264 encoder (which is well known to be
quite limited) can't compete with a mature MPEG-4 encoder, but from my
own tests x264 gives significantly higher PSNR, for what it's worth, and
also retains a bit more detail.

-Corey