[MPlayer-users] Containers, GMC, PSNR, and doom9

Alexander Noe' alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat May 6 23:29:48 CEST 2006

The Wanderer schrieb:

>> The best way for mplayer to support that would probably be to map the
>> chunk containing the entire subtitle stream into a memory-mapped
>> file and run it through a subtitle file parser, treating it as
>> external file. I guess this best way is not considered good enough...
>
> The only reason that it might not be accepted is as a way to say
> "breaking interleaving like that is not acceptable, get the people who
> create the tools which mux in such a broken way to split the subtitles
> up into vaguely appropriate chunks",

For SSA, this would break seeking, because the SSA headers would be in
the first chunk, which would go beyond AVI specs. Moving the headers
somewhere into the stream headers would break VSFilter, MediaPlayer
Classic, probably Haali Media Splitter.

Reading the subs at the beginning, creating a memory mapped file, and
treating the subs as external file would actually not cause any issue,
at least none I could think off (unless, of course, somewhere out
there is an OS mplayer is supposed to run on which has no
memory-mapped files, like MS-DOS :D ).

Alex

--
„Der Horizont vieler Menschen ist ein Kreis mit dem Radius
Null – und das nennen sie dann ihren Standpunkt. (Albert