[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat May 6 23:30:55 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 03:24:04AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
[...]
> > 2. XviD used to avoid B-frames where they would be detrimental much
> > better than lavc. With vb_strategy=2, lavc does just as well, though
> > much more slowly.
>
> "exactly as well" or "it tries to do as well"? Additionally last time I have
> tested vb_strategy=2 it has been buggy.

bugreport.html

[...]

> > Now, lavc can use XviD ratecontrol internally. Alternatively, a more
> > XviD-like ratecontrol equation for lavc is vrc_eq=(tex+10^8*mcVar)^0.6
>
> Then why not just use Xvid?

ffmpeg supports many codecs, mpeg1, mpeg2, msmpeg4v3, wmv1, wmv2, h263, svq1, ...
i belive you will agree that making it possible to encode to these with xvids
ratecontrol is a feature some users want ...

[... xvid is always better then lavc ...]

maybe your claims are true maybe not, either way this list is not an
appropriate place for such trollish flames, this whole thread is a big
waste of time for everyone (no i didnt read the whole, but ive seen
exagerated nonsense on both sides ...)

if you know of cases where xvid outperforms lavc, please provide a detailed
report so the issue can be reproduced and lavc eventually improved
if you have no interrest in improving lavc or xvid or mplayer then take your
flames off this list please, this is true for everyone participating
it helps noone to sit in a corner screaming x is better then y no matter if
x is xvid or lavc

--
Michael