[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: mplayer crashes when playing radio stream

Bryan Alton balton at eircom.net
Sun May 7 08:39:31 CEST 2006

cga2000 wrote:

> Thus spake Bryan Alton on Sat, May 06, 2006 at 09:50:10PM +0100 or
> thereabouts: <balton at eircom.net> [2006-05-06 16:52]:
>> The SMIL file has lots of streams before the actual stream
>> - one of which seems to be a video. My recent CVS Mplayer
>> didn't crash on my SuSe system
>
> .. commercials.. this radio station is a front-end for some online
> store that sells music - CD's.. sure glad to get rid of that..!
>

>> It plays just with mplayer - no need for -playlist.
>
> .. indeed it does :-/
>
> no idea why I had -playlist in my command.. tells you how ignorant I am
> of such matters.

You need the playist option before an URL which references files
which are playlists (!) such as SMIL, ASX and pls.
These are all text files which have a specific
format.

To find the real URL I usually just use wget on the URL if
it ends with ASX, SMIL, pls and sometimes RAM to download
a copy onto my system.  I then look at the file and usually
the last URL is the one to play.

You can use google to find the specs for ASX and SMIL files - they
are in XML but are english enough that you can get the
sense without delving into specs.