[MPlayer-users] Containers, GMC, PSNR, and doom9

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun May 7 18:58:40 CEST 2006

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 02:11:38PM +0200, Alexander Noe' wrote:
> The Wanderer schrieb:
>
> >Right. That makes sense.
> >
> >I would, however, consider it preferable - and, I think, reasonable -
> >for the user to have the option to choose to do it "correctly" (i.e.,
> >with headers as stored in stream headers and chunks interleaved
> >throughout the file) instead of "in the way which is supported by Media
> >Player Classic"; I understand that you do not necessarily have the time
> >to spend on random subprojects, but what are the chances that you might
> >add something like this to AVI-Mux GUI?
>
> The question would then be: What would be the use of this?
>
> * It's highly unlikely that any hardware mpeg4 player will ever
> support such a format -> no change

We do not care about shit hardware players at all.

> * people who don't want to use a hardware mpeg4 player can convert
> their files to mkv easily and can play mkv files easily

And then they no longer have the canonical file, unless they
wastefully keep both. Keeping canonical files is extremely important
if the files are to be shared/distributed.

> So the only gain would be to have a nice proof-of-concept that is not
> backward compatible to existing subtitle renderers and requires a lot
> of tools to be updated, just because of a proof-of-concept.
>
> IMHO, this is a real misrelation between gain and cost, especially
> considering the amount of time I could spend on it atm...

If the original way is blatently wrong and spec-incompliant then it
needs to be fixed.

Rich