[MPlayer-users] h264 encoded video playback problem

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun May 7 22:40:47 CEST 2006

On Sun, 07 May 2006 21:07:35 +0200
"Selmi   Luko¹" <selmi at centrum.sk> wrote:

> when i play any high quality h264 encoded video i have, i get to the
> same problem. at the beginning of movie everything works correctly.
> then after some time video playback is choppy, cpu usage is too high
> and in terminal there are messages
>
> Error while decoding frame!

h.264 is just seriously CPU-intensive, that's why you get 100% CPU
usage.  See "-lavdopts" for ways to speed it up.

The errors are because h.264 doesn't work correctly with framedroping.
Use -noframedrop instead (or -hardframedrop if you must).

> after configure it wrote that x264 support will be available. however
> i found no possibility to use x264 library for decoding

x264 is an encoder-only, so you can't use it for playback.

> any idea what could be wrong? or can it be that 1.7Ghz Athlon is too
> slow to decode 1024x432 h264encoded video? (

Yes, that's definately the problem.  1024x432 isn't too high, so
"-lavdopts skiploopfilter=bidir" might be enough to get playback to
realtime on your system without noticably quality loss.  Also, -vo gl
may be significantly faster (try it with/without "-dr" and/or "-vf
format=bgr16").

Also, -nocache may help, and I've found -nortc speeds things up as well
(at least on Linux 2.4).