[MPlayer-users] Via XvMC and Incompatible Codecs

Foss Kevin S Maj (CAN-CPP) SMC/GPU Kevin.Foss.CAN at losangeles.af.mil
Thu May 11 18:05:39 CEST 2006

I've been working to get my Epia M10000 working with with MythTV 0.19.
I am using mplayer as the video and DVD application MythTV calls.  I
have also been focussed on getting the hardware acceleration working
through XvMC.  I have followed as many HOW-TOs as I could find and at
this point I have XvMC working with Xine.  Playing a DVD on Xine with
the 1GHz Epia uses only 10-15% of the CPU.  However Xine is not my media
player of choice and it doesn't work as well with a remote control, so I
want MPlayer to do the work.

I have tried at least three different versions of MPlayer.  I tried a
Mandrake RPM of MPlayer-1.0.6 with XvMC compiled in.  I also tried a CVS
version from February and a recent CVS version from April.  Both of
these I have compiled with the included options enabled for XvMC.  In
all cases they compile and install correctly and XvMC shows up under
'mplayer -vo help'.

When I try to use XvMC with MPlayer, this is what I get:

Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vop scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
VDecoder init failed

This is for any MPEG2 file or DVD.  If I use -vo xv as the video output,
it all works but with a much higher CPU utilization.  The standard
command line used to play video with XvMC is mplayer dvd://1 -vo xvmc
-vc ffmpeg12, which does not work for me.

I would try earlier MPlayer versions or the official releases but I am
running Mandrake 2006.0 and it uses gcc 4.0 which only works with CVS
versions of MPlayer.

Does anyone know if this could be a 'codecs.conf' problem, an 'ffmpeg'
problem or an XvMC problem?  I don't think it's the XvMC since it works
so well with Xine.