[MPlayer-users] Semi-OT: NUT

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue May 16 06:24:15 CEST 2006

Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> Hello. One of the things brought up in the recent überthread were the
> failings of OGM, and MKV as alternatives to AVI. One thing that was
> brought up was NUT. I've tried to do some research on NUT, but the
> information seems rather scarce, as do proper tools for working with
> NUT. The MPlayer documentation has only a small paragraph, and the
> NUT homepage has even less.
>
> I'm wondering, where can I find some legitimate NUT tools?

Fully spec-compliant NUT tools have not been released, and in fact (I
believe) have not been written, because the NUT spec has not yet been
finalized. One of the MPlayer/etc. developers (Oded Shimon, wasn't it?)
has been writing libnut, a minimal implementation of the format, as the
spec approaches its final form; however, I don't know what the current
state of that code is.

Currently, the only way that I know of to mux to NUT is to use FFmpeg -
and the code involved there may still be based on a now-outdated version
of the spec, which will not be compatible with the final form and so
will not be demuxable by later FFmpeg/libavformat.

> I presume that NUT has track labeling capabilities, and the ability
> to have subtitles to be muxed in.

I don't remember any specific mention of the former, but I don't know
why it wouldn't be possible. The latter is, of course, very much possible.

> It doesn't seem that the LAVF mixer in MPlayer is capable of that
> right now.

I'd be rather surprised if it had been...

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.