[MPlayer-users] Mplayer bug with several files

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 13:26:03 CET 2006

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> That might be a reasonable perspective, but it doesn't seem
>> appropriate to give the same response in that situation as when the
>> report is on a version more than a year old (which has happened -
>> 1.0pre7try2 turned 1 on August 26th). I'd agree with the use of
>> "stone-age" in that case, and probably even in the case of 1.0pre8
>> (released June 11th), but a week and a half is not in the same
>> category of ancient - no matter how fast and heavy the development
>> has been in that period. (And, as a long-time lurker and sometime
>> poster (and occasional contributor) on the development mailing
>> lists, I can say that it doesn't look that much more fast-paced
>> around here than usual.)
>
> if you read -cvslog you will find a lot of patches committed between
> rc1 and now that fixed a lot of bugs

I do in fact read -cvslog (I read all MPlayer- and FFmpeg-related lists
except for -translations and the NUT list(s?)), and while I acknowledge
that there have been a fair number of commits (11 a day vs. an average
in the period since the switch to SVN of 62), it did not seem much more
of a flood than usual to me - and even if it had been, that still would
not justify referring to a release which is less than two weeks old in
the same kind of terms which are used to refer to a release which is
more than a *year* old.

I'll admit that most of the bug-in-playback-fixing commits which there
have been in the last three days (all I checked, I have to leave for
work soon) have been related to MPEG transport streams, and that that
does rather increase the odds of the bug having been fixed in the
interim. It would still have been more informative and IMO appropriate
to say something like "even though you're using a recently released
version, you're in luck: it looks like the bug may be fixed in the SVN
version" rather than acting as if the user is stupid for thinking that
something less than two weeks old is new enough.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.