[MPlayer-users] No cable input from tv card

Shocky shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 5 22:27:24 CET 2006

On 2006 November 5 03:27, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Shocky wrote:
> >Yes! card=15 tuner=6 did the trick. I even have sound (which I haven't
> > been able to get through s-video)! Thanks for all the help.
>
> you had better submit a patch against bttv-cards.c with your entries,
> (mimic one the other entries based on your pci ids)
> so in the future you or someone else can safely modprobe bttv without
> parameters
> and recognize all the components automatically

That's a good idea. I've wanted to contribute back to the community that I've
gotten so much from. I am a developer, but I haven't done anything of
significance on Linux or using C or C++ yet, and I'm very time challenged.

I would need to learn a little more first about how cards are identified and
configured in bttv and/or v4l.

I was thinking about the fact that it doesn't seem to know that it's a Zoltrix
TV-Max card. In lspci it's identified as:

00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt848 Video Capture
(rev 12)

I'm thinking this comes from these lines in bt848.h:

#ifndef PCI_VENDOR_ID_BROOKTREE
#define PCI_VENDOR_ID_BROOKTREE 0x109e

I've also noticed when I'm using sane that v4l shows up as a scanner device.
"scanimage -L" gives me:

device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname BT848A video (Zoltrix TV-Max) virtual
device

Somewhere else (can't remember now, or maybe it's changed since I got it
configured right), I remember it being identified as "*** UNKNOWN/GENERIC
***", which corresponds to this entry in bttv-cards.c:

	.name		= " *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** ",
	.video_inputs	= 4,
	.audio_inputs	= 1,
	.tuner		= 0,
	.svhs		= 2,
	.muxsel		= { 2, 3, 1, 0},
	.tuner_type	= -1,

Perhaps you can fill me in a little more on how the card is identified? Or
should I take this to the video4linux list?