[MPlayer-users] Follow up to the Korean subtitle issue

Tony Sim y2s82 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 04:15:03 CET 2006

thank you for the reply.  I've searched the web and finally got the thing to work... sorta.

i've set the following lines in config file

#unicode=1#fontconfig=1subcp=cp949#subcp=euc-KRsubfont-text-scale=4font="C:\Program Files\MPlayer-1.0rc1-gui\mplayer\subfont.ttc"

it seems that unicode setting is irrelevant, while either of the subcp lines are necessity, as well as the font line.
without those lines, subtitles either would not show, or show in underlines (as in underlines replaces otherwise korean characters), or in broken korean characters.

now, with those lines in place, SOME of the korean shows, while other lines still show up broken.  This is somewhat frustrating as the recompiled pre6,7 w/ the previously mentioned patch would show them all as they are.

for privacy reasons (i'm...bit paranoid, sorry...), i did not include the smi file; however, i openned it w/ notepad to check each lines, and they are all in identical formet.

so i wonder if this is the limitation of windows, or something else entirely, or mplayer still needing some tinkering.  I believe i could scratch Windows from the list simply because it worked before.  Then again, maybe having gui brought another issues w/ windows.  maybe it has to do something w/ mplayers since previous builds w/ patches worked even when i did not specify the font line or the subcp, though it was necessary to specify the unicode=1 line, ironically.  or maybe something else entirely; codec?  subtitle codec?

the followings are the first few lines of the subfile.  The rest of the smi file follows the same format as the last few lines shown below.  I hope this helps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------begins
<SAMI><HEAD><Title> Produced by CCMP produced by CineCaption </Title><STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--P { margin-top:2pt; margin-bottom:2pt; margin-left:8pt; margin-right:8pt;     text-align:center;    font-size:20pt; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-weight:normal; color:white; }.KRCC { Name:한글; lang:ko-KR; SAMIType:CC;}.ENCC { Name:영어; lang:en-US; SAMIType:CC;}#STDPrn { Name:보통;}#LargePrn { Name:크게; font-size:25pt;}#SmallPrn { Name:작게; font-size:15pt;}--></Style><!--
제  목 : <omitted>
버  전 : 1.0배포일 : 년 월 일동영상 : [DivX] MB대  본 : 압축번  역 : 압축자  막 : 압축수  정 :
--></HEAD><BODY><SYNC Start=0><P Class=KRCC>PRESENT BY 夜&추억록™<br>자막:압축<SYNC Start=4966><P Class=KRCC>&nbsp;<SYNC Start=5390><P Class=KRCC>이 자막을 상업적 혹은 2차 수정배포 하지 말아주세요.소장을 위한 개인적 수정은 상관없습니다.<SYNC Start=10634><P Class=KRCC>&nbsp;

i hope these information are helpful in someway.

Just in case I wasn't clear; I use Windows, and I'm using the binary version of mplayer provided by the mplayerhq.hu site.

much thanx.  I hope things clear up.

ps.  I find this version of mplayer to be much more unstable than the pervious versions i've seen for windows.  For same reason as above, i decided not to upload things to site, but what i can say is that most of the files were played just fine w/ previous mplayer builds, whether i compiled them or downloaded a binary.
They either give errors and refuses to play or hangs when i try to either close the mplayer program or change video files.  So far, wmv and ogm files are sure-fires to give error and crash, and very few avi files been showing similar trait.  Hanging at the closing of program seems to happen at random, but then i wasn't being very attentive to details out of mighty frustration, hearing a same segment of sound caught over and over again until killed.  Most errors given for wmv and ogm seems to relate to sound codec.  again, i wasn't being attentive to detail: too busy clicking ok.