[MPlayer-users] Accurate a/v sync in mencoder

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 02:59:10 CET 2006

Hi,

What is the recommend way to have a (near) perfect a/v sync using mencoder?

I'm follwing this guide
to convert my video to DVD format. I.e.,

 mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf scale=720:576,harddup \
 -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 \
 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:aspect=16/9:\
 acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -ofps 25 -o your_video.mpg your_video

But some of the converted mpg files have a/v sync problem -- a/v diff by
half or nearly a whole second at the later half. Some results audio come
before the video, some after.

I've looked into the problem, but was not able to interpret what I read.
E.g.

,-----
`-----

,-----
| I propose we make -mc 0 the default in mencoder. ... If there are no
| objections (or more people for it than against) by late next week I'll
| commit!
`-----

So, here are my questions.

- How can I tell if my source is good?

I saw lots of "1 duplicate frame(s)!" or such in the output while
converting, meanwhile mencoder reports there is no a/v sync difference:

 Pos:2253.6s  54519f (88%) 119.62fps Trem:   1min 317mb  A-V:0.000 [795:192]

- all files play fine in mplayer, perfect a/v sync. So are they good or bad?

- what's the differece between mplayer a/v sync method and mencoder's? I
presume that they should be almost the same but apparently mplayer
knows/utilizes more than mencoder?

- is current mencoder '-mc 0' by default? Else, will '-mc 0' improve my
current situation? How about -noskip?

- regarding the above converting script, is the MEncoder's frame-skip
  code disabled?

I looked back and forth in map page trying to understand the following,
but still don't know exactly what it meant for me to do.

,-----
| when generating MPEG files, it is advisable to disable MEncoder's frame-skip
| code (see -noskip, -mc as well as the harddup and softskip video filters).
`-----

thanks

PS. the video that I am converting is real media.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/