[MPlayer-users] Kiosk with mplayer ?

Uwe Dippel udippel at uniten.edu.my
Sat Nov 11 15:07:25 CET 2006

Attila Kinali wrote:

> Wrong oder of options. Options that should be applied
> to all files have to be placed _before_ any file.

Point taken

>>I want to go further: defining once and
>>for all that the window needs to be horizontally centered, and extend
>>from (e.g.) 100 pixels down from the top, to 100 pixels above the
>>bottom. That is: setting a default standard height, irrespective of
>>aspect ratio.
>>Can this be done ?
>

> -geometry does that.

My excuses, probably my "irrespective of aspect ratio" was wrong. I
meant 'not touching the aspect ratio'.

-geometry x[%][:y[%]] or [WxH][+x+y]

mplayer -geometry 480x240+100+172 myfile.avi

does work, as I said. But the '480' is not what I want. I do want to
keep the aspect intact. So the first value is supposed to be undefined;
depending on the aspect ratio.
With this in mind, the +100 also is not what I want, since I don't know
the top-left point of the window.
-geometry  x240++172 myfile.avi
is rather what I'd need (if I understand the syntax right:
240 as H(eight) and 172 margin to the top of the screen, plus something
to define the horizontal *center* of the image, I suppose).

If one needs a constant height with undistorted aspect ratio, I think it
is not possible to define the left border.
In my application I have a mask (4:3) behind which the videos are
supposed to show. If the source is 4:3 or 16:9 or 2:1, doesn't matter.
The 'best' solution for me is constant, full, height for any source. If
that mask happens to cover left and right parts of the videos doesn't
matter too much to me. Usually, there is less important staff there in
any case.
(I think this bit of explanation was necessary to avoid confusion.)

Thanks for any further help,

Uwe