[MPlayer-users] video fine, but audio scratchy and distorted

Cooper Strange mplayerhq at chinacoop.net
Wed Nov 15 02:22:15 CET 2006

I run MPlayer on Fedora 6. I want to play DivX files. The video shows
up just fine, but the sound comes across as a very (and I mean VERY)
computer distorted sound. You can just barely tell the distortion is
based on the original sound, but it is like the computer version of
scratching fingernails on a chalk board.

Of the video files I have, I can play ASF, WMV, and MOV with no
problems. I have the sound/audio problem with MPEG (MPG) audio, it
looks like. I had the problem both in an MPG file and the MPEG audio
in DivX files.

I searched the web for days and only found one other person who
 seemed to have a problem like mine...here on this list. He seemed to
 have accidentally solved his problem, and not really knowing how he
 fixed it could not help much. I tried removing and reinstalling
 MPlayer. I installed the DivX codecs (thinking maybe the MPlayer I
 had did not have those codecs automatically).

If it helps, here is what I get when I run "mplayer --version":

MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (Family: 6, Model: 4, Stepping: 2)
CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0

Any ideas?