[MPlayer-users] video fine, but audio scratchy and distorted

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Nov 15 18:29:49 CET 2006

Hello,
On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:16:04AM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 November 2006 at 09:20, Johann Amin wrote:
> > I too can confirm that the mplayer default package for FC6 is stuffed.
> > All mp2 & mp3 audio play with only static sound. Other formats such as
> > ac3, vorbis & pcm are good. I don't think this is any fault of the
> > mplayer developers but more the fault of the packager of mplayer for
> > FC6. I got the latest svn and compiled my own. Works like a charm.
>
> There was a bug in mp3lib decoder which has been fixed in SVN. It is
> audible only on Athlon CPUs (and, I suspect, any 3DNow-capable ones).

While it was a bug, I'd like to say that this was revealed only because
someone decided to override the default CFLAGS. Bugs really are to be
expected in this case, if simply because this receives much less
testing.
So if you want to help improve MPlayer and fix bugs, sure,use your own
CFLAGS. But if your goal is to have a working program, think twice.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger