[MPlayer-users] Framerate vs. monitor refresh rate

ACS adrian.bacon at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 20 08:26:05 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corey Hickey" <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org>
To: "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests, bug reports"
<mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2006 03:53
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Framerate vs. monitor refresh rate

> If I did the math right, you should be seeing each frame for either 3
> refreshes or 4 refreshes, which means approximately 0.040 seconds or
> 0.053 seconds, repectively, versus a nominal 0.042 seconds per frame.
> Can you really tell the difference?

I think you can for objects that move with constant speed. it'll result in
jerkyness.
It takes about 6 frames of 0.040 sec , before a 0.053 frame is inserted to
compensate for 0.042 - 0.040 difference.
So time between these 0.053 frames will be about 0.3 sec. This way you'll
end up with 3 "jerks" a second instead of smooth motion.

Proper frame rate convertor doesn't just copy frames, it uses things like
motion prediction, to calculate "in between" frames

Adrian