[MPlayer-users] h264 matroska and bitrate

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 16:18:48 CET 2006

Hi,

On 11/20/06, bayrouni <bayrouni at brutele.be> wrote:
> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> My  videos are originally coded with mpeg2 at 9800 kbps (I am trying to
> convert all my movies (DVDs) in matroska container with h264 codec),
> so I used all the options for the high quality indicated in this link
>  http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/fr/menc-feat-x264.html
> these options are:
> subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b
>
> And my question , what about the bitrate to match the high quality
> options  theses DVDs ?
> Is 1000 bps a goog choice?
> Thank you Guillaume

Mmm... I shouldn't answer that question as the "good" bitrate is
really a matter of personnal taste, and of the noise/quality of the
source.

Much of the bitrate issue is covered in the doc, so I'm not gonna
repeat it here.

Just, IMHO, if you give a target bitrate equal to half the bitrate of
source video, and reduce deblocking to -6,-6, you shouldn't be able to
tell the source and the h264 encode appart.

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!