[MPlayer-users] Capturing jpg frames from video

João Costa joaocosta at zonalivre.org
Tue Nov 21 09:04:36 CET 2006

Hi,

I've downloaded and compiled the latest source version of mplayer using the svn repositories:

svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-gui --with-win32libdir=/usr/lib/win32 --enable-largefiles --disable-x264
make
make install

Now i'm using mplayer to extract a single jpg file from a video file.  For instance, to extract a frame 30 seconds into the movie, i use:

mplayer -frames 1 -ss 30 -vo jpeg -nosound video.wmv

This works for most videos, but not for all, once in a while i find a video for which the output jpg file is completely black.

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what the problem might be ?  Could it be some codec missing ? I just don't know where to look.

An example of a video for which this does not work is available at:
http://www.zonalivre.org/video.wmv

it's a 37 MB download.

TIA,
João