[MPlayer-users] Question about syncing a/v during playback ofVDR recordings.

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Tue Nov 21 23:25:34 CET 2006

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> VDR User wrote:
>
>> It simply feeds the data to the device as fast
>> as the device can take it, and syncing audio and video is the device's
>> job.
>

> very true
>
>> Maybe mplayer just generates additional PES headers for this?"
>

> no, and the only relevant thing that these cards care for is the pts
> (and maybe dts
> that mplayer doesn't generate) in the pes headers. Obviously the more
> frequent timestamps are in the pes stream the less likely the card is
> to desync (if timestamps are correct)

I've just committed to svn a patch for mencoder (not mplayer) :
mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=pes2 (or pes1)  -oac copy -ovc copy
-o file.vdr orig.ts
will remux orig.ts to a valid .vdr file as it should be made.
As opposed to mplayer's output, the resulting file will have _correct_
timestamps
and respect the buffering constraints typically defined for mpeg2, so
interleaving will
be much better than in mplayer's output; unfortunately, lacking the pack
header
and the SCR therein, the decoder won't be able to follow the STD
decoding model.
Additionally, with these formats padding won't take place, so overhead
will be much
smaller than usual (I've seen something < 0.5%).
Can you run some test with these new files?