[MPlayer-users] Re: Framerate vs. monitor refresh rate

ACS adrian.bacon at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 22 09:27:01 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <sci-fi at hush.ai>
To: <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 07:24
Subject: [MPlayer-users] Re: Framerate vs. monitor refresh rate

> Respectfully, yes I *do* think you are "seriously misinformed"
> in that LCDs really do NOT have refresh rates as you seem to
> think.  Also please remember my discussion here is in regards
> to DVI-D and no other interface.
YES and NO
NO: there's no refresh. All pixels are constantly lit, so there's no
flicker, unlike CRT sreens, where pixels aren't lit constantly. This is why
you won't notice any flickering on white surfaces on a lcd.

YES
> Also he made another point which backs _me_ up when I say an
> LCD pixel "stays lit" by itself until the VRAM is changed.
VRAM  data is constantly copied pixel for pixel, line for line to the lcd
pixels. When a full screen copy is completed, the copy process restarts at
the begin.
This copy process takes time, limiting the rate VRAM data is copied
(refreshed!) to the LCD pixels.

> Here is a recent thread in which someone lost his cool when
> people kept saying LCDs have refresh rates:
> http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/Consequences-Higher-Refresh-Rates-LCD-ftopict50988.html#362496

Read post from TeraMedia on that topic!

> Let me try explaining again:  It's as if "slices" weren't
> exactly in-sync in a horizontal fashion.  When they are
> slower-to-draw, it's as if a BMP is being drawn in
> "slices" -- it begins in the lower sections and goes up,
> in each "slice"...........

I still think of it as lack of double buffering.
I you can't make screenshot, use a digicam and set shutter time lower than
your LCD refresh rate ;-)

Adrian