[MPlayer-users] Re: Framerate vs. monitor refresh rate

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 13:03:19 CET 2006

Im new to this list, but have some experience with video. The problem
(and I get it too) would appear to be lack of vblank-interrupt support
by either mplayer or the drm kernel-module for you chipset. In my case i
believe that it is a kernel-driver issue (i965 chipset, with i915 kernel
module). One way to check is to run some openGL applications with the
"driconf" setting set to "force applications to sync with vblank" - then
run say glxgears. If the framerate is the same as the "refresh rate" set
in the Xorg config (even for LCDs!) then you have vblank support (which
would be 60fps for me). If however the application runs full speed
(1200fps for me) then you do not have vblank support, and you need to
bug the kernel driver not mplayer.

Regards,
    Keean.