[MPlayer-users] Re: 2:3 pulldown from 29.970 fps source

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Nov 22 23:34:16 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:16:51 -0500
T <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>  vcodec=mpeg2video:ilme:ildct:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=3600:vbit
>  rate=3000:keyint=15:aspect=4/3 -oac lavc -lavcopts
>  acodec=ac3:abitrate=224 -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000,volnorm
>  -vf-add telecine,crop=704,pp=de -mc 0 -quiet -vf-add harddup -o
>  test.mpg dvd://1

You have two instances of -lavcopts, which is surely ruining
everything....

You are using a filter (pp=de) AFTER the telecine step, which must be
destroying the picture, as it isn't meant to operate on interlaced
frames...

You aren't using softskip (preferably very near the end of the filter
chain) which may potentially cause problems.

> 	Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8263812 bytes).
> 	Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec
> 	failed? For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with
> 	the -ni option.

 -mc 0 is probably causing the error message in question.  I would
guess that's, because your input isn't 30fps.

> If omit the telecine, the file is 150% bigger than trancode rip
> (23.976 fps),

You haven't set ANY bitrate, so the default bitrate for transcode may
just be lower...  You also aren't using any quality-improving options in
mencoder, so you should expect inordinately large files.  Read the
HTML docs...

> which makes me believe the converted mpeg is real 29.970
> fps, not flagged by pulldown settings..

Yes, -vf telecine does hard telecining, which really increase the
framerate by 20%.  For soft telecining, you want "-mpegopts
telecine" .